The Sir Thomas Lipton Cup
While visiting Seattle in 1912 on his way to San Francisco, Sir Thomas Lipton was so impressed with what he saw as perfect sailing waters that he promised to commemorate his visit by donating a perpetual challenge cup to the Seattle Yacht Club. Upon his return to London, Sir Thomas commissioned the cup, which arrived in 1913 and was first contested in 1914 by the "R" boats "Sir Tom" of Seattle and "Turenga" of Vancouver, Canada. With the demise of the "R" class, the Lipton Cup became the main trophy for the International 6 Metre Class in the Northwest. The Cup itself is made of solid sterling silver, weighs about 5 or 6 pounds and stands approximately 4 feet (1.3 metres), including her base. Winners of the Cup, including boat name, skipper, and crew, have been inscribed on the Cup or on small placques encircling the base, for the past 85 years.
This year Port Madison Yacht Club and Puget Sound Six Meter Association are proud to host the 2019 Sir Thomas Lipton Cup.
History Courtesy of: Six Meter North America